As the coronavirus spreads, many employers have questions about how to respond. The federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has the following advice:
- Actively encourage sick employees to stay home.
- Employees who appear to have acute respiratory illness symptoms (i.e. cough, shortness of breath) upon arrival to work or become sick during the day should be separated from other employees and be sent home immediately. Sick employees should cover their noses and mouths with a tissue when coughing or sneezing (or an elbow or shoulder if no tissue is available).
- Place posters that encourage staying home when sick, cough and sneeze etiquette, and hand hygiene at the entrance to your workplace and in other workplace areas where they are likely to be seen.
- Provide tissues and no-touch disposal receptacles for use by employees.
- Perform routine environmental cleaning.
For additional information and resources, visit the CDC’s Interim Guidance for Businesses and Employers page.